Saturday, March 25, 2006

O'Connell Fired!

Well we all knew it would happen eventually (OK so we all "hoped" it would happen), and news on his firing broke around 5:o0 pm. The team has set-up a news conference tonight at 6:00 pm EST to make the official announcement. The interim GM will be assistant GM Jeff Gorton. I personally think they should look outside the team for the new General Manager. We don't need anymore Harry Sinden puppets.

While it is nice that they fired him, it is empty gesture considering all the damage that's been done already. Starting in the summer the GM low-balled most of the restricted free agents, then he spent most of the teams cap space signing forwards. The defence core that started the year was basically straight out of the AHL and couldn't stop any opposing forwards. Then the fire sale began. New free agent Dave Scatchard was sent to Phoenix, Thornton to San Jose and recently Samsanov to Edmonton.

Yes, O'Connell got some defencemen in the trades and we are better in that area, but we shouldn't have given up so much to get them (and wouldn't have if he spent his FA more effectively). His two most intelligent moves both came in the last 2 weeks, with the re-signing of Axelsson and Thomas.

Good bye, and good riddance Mike!

9 comments:

jimbuff said...

I see from your profile that you are from Canada also and to make the best of it from Gatineau. Do they still have The Clog there every year. I was visiting Ottawa in 1990 and went to The Clog where I seen one of my favorites - Stompin Tom Connors perform - what a great time!!!

Jim Buffett

TreeBob said...

You finally made a comment on the site!

I see you coming on here once or twice a day. Not sure what the Clog is, is it in the market down town?

I am in Gatineau but I am a Maritimer at heart. I moved to the area from Nova Scotia in 2000.

I just came for the work.

So what the heck are you still doing out there and why does you IP read Montreal?

jimbuff said...

The Clog was a music festival hosted by Wayne Rostad (on the road again host) - is was held outside of Gatineau on som,e farm land - it started in the mid 80's and the last I heard was about 5 or 6 years ago and a friend of mine went.
My IP reads Montreal because this is where our local server gets connection from. I am from an isolated town in Labrador and Montreal is the nearest city - about a 15 hour drive on a road that is still half gravel. I am still here because it is the best place on earth. It is a well off mining town
where salaries are high and the cost if living is low. We have a population of 8500 people but have the best of every imaginable facility you can think of. Plus we do not have the problems common in such towns as say Fort McMurry does.

JIm

TreeBob said...

There is a guy I know a little, he is working at the Iron Ore Company of Canada as a coop student in Labrador City.

Are you working in the industry? Are you a geologist?
I am 5 credits short of my geology degree.

i am not much of a country fan so i tend not to py attention to those sorts of festivals. We have a country festival by my house here in Masson-Angers every summer (part of Gatineau).

It's too bad you don't enjoy baseball.

jimbuff said...

I do work for the Industry but not for IOCC. I am a sales manager for an industrial distributor that supplies the Mines. I am also in charge of customer service. My wife is the Manager of McDonalds here.
What part of Nova Scotia are you from?
I went to University at ST.F.X. in Antigonish and my university girl friend was from Liverpool. I even took 3 weeks vacation a couple of years ago and went on a 2 week pub crawl from one end of Nova Scotia to the other and spent my last week in Halifax.

TreeBob said...

I am from Middleton, and my wife is from Kingston/Greenwood, both in the Annapolis Valley. We both went to school at Acadia in Wolfville.

I used to work at Louis Pizza (same chain as the one at Antigonish). Did you go to the Anvil in Wolfville on the pub crawl?

I work in the Forest Products Section of Environment Canada and my other Division mates work in Metals and Mining. We regulate the industries and sometimes deal with suppliers if there is a need to have chemicals changed.

TreeBob said...

Oh yeah I worked at MacDonald's Greenwood for over 5 years :)

jimbuff said...

I'll be posting comments and answers from the curlers on Fri. nite or Sat. morning. I am having a couple of beers tomorrow afetnoon (Fri.) with spare - Mike and 3rd - Mark. Alot of good comments so far from all of the team but I will try to get them boozed up to see if their was anything behind the scenes that people do not know about - I doubt it but who knows.
I was at a bar called the Axe and another called The Wolfhead which I am told is now the Anvil.

Jim

TreeBob said...

The axe is at my university and the anvil is owned by my old boss at. Joe's Food Emporium.

I look forward to your post.