Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Many Sounds of Totoro

So I was noticing today that there are a lot of different version of the Totoro soundtracks! I am thinking that most kids in Japan are pretty familiar with the little Totoros. Currently on my playlist include the Original French Soundtrack, Orchestra Stories, Saundo Bukku (Soundbook), and Songu & Karaoke (Song and Karaoke).

Orchestra Stories is interesting, but it would be nice if I understood Japanese :) The first 8 tracks are music and story (narrartor talking) and the last 8 are just the music. It was preformed by Joe Hisaishi for a children's group on the 15th anniversary of the film.

The soundbook version is really nice. It is rearranged by Joe Hisaishi with flute, guitar and piano. It is sometimes techno, sometimes jazzy, and sometimes classical. Neko Bus actually has a twangy country thing going on :) Overall the album is pretty enjoyable and different from the original.

Now the song and karaoke version is a bit odd. It has all the original songs from the movie song by Azumi Inoue (which I love) and then it has some other wierd songs which I don't remember from the movie. Three of the songs were accompanied by the Suginami Children's Choir and really liked them, children's choirs are always good. NekoBus is on it just like the original soundtrack but it is sung by a guy and it is alright but then comes Fushigi Shirttori Uta. The woman singing it has an annoying voice and the keyboard music is right out of the '80s, bad hair and all! Really that is the only track I want to delete. The rest are enjoyable especially if you liked the movie. Oh wait there is harmonica! Harmonica on a Joe Hisaishi track, nuff said.

There are other Totoro soundtracks as well but I haven't heard them yet. Let me know if you have heard them and tell me what you thought.

On a side note my wife has learned to play Totor on her flute. She's cute, I just love her. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to give some love to Treebob

TreeBob said...

Thankjs for the love Trin. HFC

Anonymous said...

ur wierd

jen.

TreeBob said...

What???? You are wack fassel

Tree said...

who the heck is this trinity person and is she giving you platonic love or what?
:)
anyways just wanted to say, in my defence, that i learned to play totoro on my flute for jim. 'cuz he's all wacky over the totoro stuff.

TreeBob said...

I am a little child at heart :)

Anonymous said...

I play the Penny Whistle.

Could you tell me how to play a Totoro Song on my flute?

That would be amazing.

Thanks

Tree said...

Dave,
I just played Totoro by ear, but you can search for music online. I'm not exactly sure about the penny whistle, though???